Bayshore Gardens is a 3,200-acre area situated in on the eastern shore of Sarasota Bay in south Manatee County. Bayshore Gardens was specifically designed around a strong sense of community featuring Mid Century Modern architecture.
Sydney R Newman purchased the land that was to become Bayshore Gardens in 1955 and Civil Engineer Freeman Horton platted the area. This historic district was designed to include recreation areas, marina, schools, churches, shopping centers and medical facilities all servicing the many homes included in this neighborhood.
The first home was sold in 1956 and was a ‘Hibiscus’ style model home.
The sense of community continued to develop as did the neighborhood. In 1960, Bayshore Gardens expanded to include Manatee Community College (SCF), Bayshore High School, Bayshore Elementary and the Bayshore Gardens Recreation Center.
Living in the Bayshore Gardens special designated tax district, comes with the added benefit of access to all the Bayshore facilities, including the recreation center, boat slip, marina and the community activity clubs designed to attract members of all ages.
The areas residents include families of all ages, singles and retirees. Many of the homes are newly renovated to restore the original Mid Century Modern architectural features.